/usr/new/csh file completion and "stty newcrt"

Mark Hastings hastings at hemlock.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 12 16:26:51 AEST 1990

I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time, so when
we got our DecStation 3100s I was willing to add a little hack to my .cshrc
that ran "stty newcrt."  I've been under the assumption that this was
necessary to get file completion to work properly (SunOS doesn't require
this, but it seems to use a different tty driver).

But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

--Mark Hastings           			(415) 642-4611
  hastings at ernie.berkeley.edu			..!ucbvax!ernie!hastings