DECserver 200 3.0 Software Fun

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jan 2 16:53:48 AEST 1990

One of the things that came with my 5810 was "DECserver 200 Release 3.0"
software.  I don't know when this was actually released, but the CSC
people were talking about it last summer.

It has a number of improvments, like being able to remotely alter port
speed and other characteristics, set per server prompts and various
bug fixes.  The CSC people also suggested that it might give better
performance than earlier versions but weren't very specific.

One thing that isn't mentioned in the release notes is that the reponse
to the remote console port (ultrix ccr command) is much better than with
the 2.0 software.  It seemed so much better that I decided to see if I
could use a script to change a bunch of setup stuff, rather than doing it
by hand.

Amazingly enough, it worked fine!  Below is the script I ended up with,
it's pretty obvious how to modify it to execute other command sequences...

#! /bin/sh
#
# this procedure executes the list of commands in the loop for each
# of the servers listed in the for statement.  Most of the sleep
# statments could probably be omitted, but they seem to insure that
# the script never "gets ahead" of the server
#
for server in pcbts boxts dogsts mez2ts mez1ts micets \
	ratsts toyts servts dialts mants catsts amixts \
	lsits qats labts exects
do
    echo "**** doing ${server} ****"
    (