Logging dlogin session to VMS

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jan 12 17:51:25 AEST 1990

In article <7403 at shlump.nac.dec.com> thomas at decwrl.dec.com writes:
> In article <9269 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George
> Robbins) writes:
> > I guess this is an issue, but opening /dev/tty conveys no obvious advantage
> > over duping or using stdin/stdout.
>
> dlogin does not (repeat that: does not) open /dev/tty.  it uses stdin/stdout.

Try the following experiment 8-)

dlogin >& /tmp/output

The only thing that gets written to the file is the "exit" message, the rest
somehow escaping to your terminal screen.

I dunno exactly what it's doing, but "strings .../dlogin" (3.1 VAX) revealed
the constant "/dev/tty" so that was my initial assumption.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net