Logging dlogin session to VMS

Matt Thomas thomas at mipsbx.nac.dec.com
Fri Jan 12 11:39:05 AEST 1990

In article <9269 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George
Robbins) writes:
> I guess this is an issue, but opening /dev/tty conveys no obvious advantage
> over duping or using stdin/stdout.

dlogin does not (repeat that: does not) open /dev/tty.  it uses stdin/stdout.

>                                     Even with the flow control/input purge
> problem, it would still be possible to "talk" to a VMS system from the
> shell using standard pipe techniques, which is the kind of capability you
> want to preserve as far as possible in the unix environment...

Depending *if* I can warp dlogin to accept a pipe/socket/fifo as input
(those pesky
tty ioctl's could be a problem), I *might* allow dlogin to read from a
pipe/socket/fifo
as well as from a tty.  No promises and don't count on it.
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas at decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas
Digital Equipment Corporation   Disclaimer: This message reflects my own
Littleton, MA                               warped views, etc.