Redoing Second RZ55 on 3100

Jeff Stoner jls2 at spdcc.COM
Mon Mar 12 16:39:31 AEST 1990

I have two RZ55's on a DECstation 3100. While mucking around with
the system commands, I noticed that my two drives have the same configuration
(using CHPT -Q command):

partition	bottom		top
  a		     0		 32767
  b		 32768		163839
  g		163840		649039

On the first drive (/dev/rz1* devices), the b partition is used for swapping,
apparently. However, serious sifting through the manuals seems to indicate
that the second drive's b partition isn't being used (this makes sense).

So, I would like to recover that space to make a new filesystem for use
for files (that's alot of disk space missing!). This is where the manuals
get clear as mud. My impression is that the following command would do
it, but I'm not willing to try it until someone else says "yeah, that's
it" (can *you* say "Jeff, Dead Systems Administrator"...? I knew you could...).

newfs -v -n /dev/rrz3b rz55

Or am I way off? Thanks for any help you can give...

--
====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ============ /\ = /\ ========== |
   Work: @coma.colorado.edu : ellery ! jls2      /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--