Redoing Second RZ55 on 3100

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Mar 12 21:46:35 AEST 1990

In article <2054 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> jls2 at ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:
> I have two RZ55's on a DECstation 3100. While mucking around with
> the system commands, I noticed that my two drives have the same configuration
> (using CHPT -Q command):
> On the first drive (/dev/rz1* devices), the b partition is used for swapping,
> apparently. However, serious sifting through the manuals seems to indicate
> that the second drive's b partition isn't being used (this makes sense).
>
> So, I would like to recover that space to make a new filesystem for use
> for files (that's alot of disk space missing!). This is where the manuals
> get clear as mud. My impression is that the following command would do
> it, but I'm not willing to try it until someone else says...
>
> newfs -v -n /dev/rrz3b rz55

Yeah, that's pretty much the story.  The swap area on the second drive is
only used if it's both in the config file and in /etc/fstab as a swap area.

You should give some thought to whether or not you want to have a secondary
swap area.  It isn't too hard to use it all up and there may be some performance
gain from having two areas.

The newfs command will do the trick as long as all the parameters for the
partition on that kind of drive are present in /etc/disktab.  Some of the
older ones were missing blocksize but I think the newer disks are complete.

You have the option of making a small 'b' filesystem or instead using the
'c' filesystem which traditionally maps the who disk...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com