Using DS3100 as a minicomputer?

Stefan Brandle stefan at wheaton.UUCP
Tue Mar 13 00:51:39 AEST 1990

In article <1940 at naucse.UUCP> sbw at naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with using a DECstation 3100
>as a replacement for a minicomputer (i.e. with typical
>minicomputer use)?  To be specific - we're thinking of replacing
>our two student uVAX-II machines with a single 3100 (say with
>24MB of memory and 1GB of disk).  I know the DS3100 has the
>raw horsepower to more than replace the 2 older machines, but
>was wondering if there was a 'performance knee'...

Here, here.

We have a couple departments that have started using email to hand out the
class lecture notes, receive papers, etc. all electronically.  Professors love
it because class time can now be spent in discussion instead of the prof's
mouth->student's notebook with little discussion stuff.  They are thinking of
perhaps getting their own machine to handle this sort of stuff.  We are also
interested in perhaps using a 3100 to replace some of our older/larger/slower
critters for some business stuff.

-stefan

PS: just got our 5400 and it's humming along, glitches and all. We intend to use
it for our library automation project, but in the meantime it plays a mean game
of rogue (:-).  Can't install DECnet because it's looking for the base 030
stuff and doesn't find it (not under 031!), so I'm going to bug CSC and find
out what the fix is before I try to convince it that we are running 3.0.