Using DS3100 as a minicomputer?

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Mon Mar 12 07:14:52 AEST 1990

I posted this query earlier, but am reasonable certain that it
did not make it out to the real world.  My apologies if this
is a repeat...

Has anyone had any experience with using a DECstation 3100
as a replacement for a minicomputer (i.e. with typical
minicomputer use)?  To be specific - we're thinking of replacing
our two student uVAX-II machines with a single 3100 (say with
24MB of memory and 1GB of disk).  I know the DS3100 has the
raw horsepower to more than replace the 2 older machines, but
was wondering if there was a 'performance knee' that would
catch us with, oh say, typical loads of 15-20 students doing
student (undergrad) type things (no window-stuff - they have
vt100 terminals).

I'd be especially grateful for 'hands-on' experiences from
people who have tried this sort of thing...

Thanks!  If there is any interest, I'll post a summary (assuming
I get some response, of course).
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}