Server memory leaks in UWS 2.2 server

Joel McCormack joel at decwrl.dec.com
Thu Mar 22 04:15:27 AEST 1990

A brief status report:

The known memory leak caused by a misunderstanding between DEC and Adobe
has been fixed.

Todd Newman noticed a memory leak inherited from X11R3, in which copies
to or from backing store did not free up a (usually quite small)
structure it allocated.  This affects the Xmfb and Xcfb servers, but
should not affect color VAX servers.  Unless you do a LOT of copying,
this won't lose much space.  The only time I've noticed it has been
playing a game which used backing store, and as you moved the cursor the
game moved a small window around on top of the backing store window.  I
lost about 8 kbytes per game; normal backing store usage would lose far less.

These are the only leaks we've found so far.  These fixes should be in
the next release of the software.  We're still looking for other leaks.

- Joel McCormack (decwrl!joel, joel at decwrl.dec.com)