Upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 fails

David C. Kovar kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 27 03:20:51 AEST 1990

  About a month ago I was upgrading two Vax 8250's from Ultrix 3.0 to 3.1.
For odd reasons, one had been running 3.0 for months and one had run 3.0
for about two days and then had reverted to 2.3 (or something like that.)
The 3.0 disk was taken off line but left intact. The machine that had
been running 3.0 flawlessly upgraded to 3.1 with no problems. Not so the
other machine.

  I rebooted the Vax off of the 3.0 disk and it came up correctly. I then
attempted to install 3.1 over 3.0. The BASE installation failed with
an error message that indicated that the 3.0 BASE was not installed correctly.
(I undortunately do not have the exact message.) Well, 3.0 is running
at the moment but I'd really like to get 3.1 running. Can anyone give
me some ideas as to why the installation would think that the 3.0 BASE
is wrong and how to fix it so I can run 3.1?

Thanks.....

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar at popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin at harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."