Multivolume dumps via dump | compress | dd

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Mar 1 17:47:05 AEST 1990

In article <25276 at ut-emx.UUCP> jeff at nic.the.net writes:
> I'm trying to save some space and time by compressing my dumps before writing
> them to tk50 on my DS3100 running UWS 2.1.  I use
>
> 	dump 0ucf - /usr | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt0h obs=60k
>
> to write a dump, which seems to work fine. dd prompts me to replace cartridges
> when appropriate, and dump seems happy.
>
> A restore of the form
>
> 	dd if=/dev/rmt0h ibs=60k | uncompress | restore if -
>
> works, until the end of the first tape is reached.  I then get "read: i/o
> error" from restore (I think).  dd just tells me its usual records in/out
> count. I've tried using the files=n argument to dd, to no avail.  Can anyone
> shed light on what I'm doing wrong?

Try something like:

(dd if=/dev/rmt0h ibs=60k; mt offline; \
	echo "change tape, hit return" > /dev/tty ; line > /dev/null ; \
	dd if=/dev/rmt0h ibs=60k) | \
    uncompress | restore if -

The trick would be to make the input to uncompress|restore look "seamless"
while actually giving you a chance to change the tape without getting an
error trying to read the tape.

Uh, no, I didn't try it...
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com