Bug in ULTRIX terminfo/curses?

Leonard Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Wed Mar 7 01:14:16 AEST 1990

In article <1363 at dgbt.uucp> phil at dgbt.uucp (Phil Blanchfield DGBT/DIP) writes:
>I was trying to get a PD package to work with VT100 arrows (function keys)
>and I think I discovered a bug in the ULTRIX terminfo/curses stuff.
> [...]
>The included program shows that getch() returns token's only if
>you don't "fopen()" a file!!! Actually, the call to fopen here
>is never even reached.  It works fine on SUNOS both ways.
>
>I am running ULTRIX V3.1 on a VAX-750.

This bug has existed since 3.0.  I (and others) complained to DEC and they
said that it would be fixed in 3.1.  They sent me a patch for getch() that
works for arrow keys (but not for other stuff like PrevScreen, NextScreen,
Select, etc.) so I can't understand why they didn't include it in 3.1.

Anyone that wants a copy of the patch can e-mail me.  *Maybe* it will be
fixed in 4.0.

I'm not sure what (if any) connection exists between the problem with getch()
and fopen().  From the small example program you included, it looks like
fopen() would never get called because it would never break out of the
for(;;) loop.
Leonard Peirce                  Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center        UUCP:      ...!uunet!sharkey!wmichgw!peirce
Kalamazoo, MI  49008            Phone:     (616) 387-5469