Bug in ULTRIX terminfo/curses?

Sam Moore sam at ccsn2.uucp
Wed Mar 7 01:19:46 AEST 1990

In article <1363 at dgbt.uucp> phil at dgbt.uucp (Phil Blanchfield DGBT/DIP) writes:
>Fellow ULTRIX folk:
>
>I was trying to get a PD package to work with VT100 arrows (function keys)
>and I think I discovered a bug in the ULTRIX terminfo/curses stuff.
>
>The included program demonstrates the bug.
>
>Both the ULTRIX an SUNOS man pages for getch() say:
>
>"     If keypad is TRUE, and a function key is pressed, the token	"
>      for that function key is returned instead of the raw charac-
>      ters.
>
>This is also spoken of in "Guide to Curses Screen-Handling".
>
>The included program shows that getch() returns token's only if
>you don't "fopen()" a file!!! Actually, the call to fopen here
>is never even reached.  It works fine on SUNOS both ways.
>
>I am running ULTRIX V3.1 on a VAX-750.
>
>Has anyone else seen this bug?
>Does this happen on a RISC?
>Is there a work around?

In libcursesX.a there is a function called _fpk() that missuses the
select() function. It passes it an int as the 5th parameter rather
than a pointer to a struct timeval.

It is not RISC related. I  don't know of a workaround other than replacing
the function in the library. I think DEC knows about this, because there
was a posting a few months ago that stated that DEC was not planning a
fix.

Sam Moore
sam at cave.ncsu.edu