To 4.0 or 3.1, that's the rub

Stefan Brandle stefan at wheaton.UUCP
Thu May 3 02:06:27 AEST 1990

Sorry for the sad subject line (:-).

We're in the process of getting ourselves a DECsystem 3100 to run a whole bunch
of Informix SQL/4GL stuff on.  Specifically, things like our student accounts,
registrar's transcripts, other important-to-a-college stuff.  I wondering
whether anybody has any words of wisdom about whether to order Ultrix 3.1X (D?)
or to be adventurous and order 4.0.

On the pro-4.0 side, there are all those discussions I've seen where somebody
says "That's fixed in 4.0", the system security stuff sounds nice, and I would
like to get hold of 4.0.  Furthermore, on a busy production system, it's very
hard to find a couple free days when people will let you take the system down
to change operating systems, and if we'll be upgrading to 4.0 eventually, I'd
rather do it now.

On the con side, all of those horrible problems in 3.1 might be irrelevant to
us, and 4.0 may turn out to have some problem of the type that makes front
page news on "Digital Review"/Your Favorite DEC magazine.  I would rather not
get 4.0 and then discover that there are some big problems (especially with
Informix) that are relevant to me.  I've been told to generally let other people
try the hot-off-the-press X.0 releases, and wait until it's been out for a while
or we hit the X.1 release.

Anybody out there who can speak authoritatively, or at least, from experience?
Experience with Informix on 3.1 or 4.0 would be especially helpful.

Thanks,
Stefan Brandle