To 4.0 or 3.1, that's the rub

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat May 5 11:23:14 AEST 1990

In article <2021 at wheaton.UUCP> stefan at wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle ) writes:
> Sorry for the sad subject line (:-).
>
> We're in the process of getting ourselves a DECsystem 3100 to run a whole
> bunch of Informix SQL/4GL stuff on.  Specifically, things like our student
> accounts, registrar's transcripts, other important-to-a-college stuff.
> I wondering whether anybody has any words of wisdom about whether to order
> Ultrix 3.1X (D?) or to be adventurous and order 4.0.

I guess I suggest getting the recommendations of the Informix people.  DEC
has had problems with recent releases, some major and many minor.  They
are not particularly effective in quickly resolving new problems and
disseminating information to the field.

If you setting a prodcution system, expecially a mixed use one, there is
much wisdom in staying with stable releases and waiting till periods of
your convenience to upgrade.

> Anybody out there who can speak authoritatively, or at least, from experience?
> Experience with Informix on 3.1 or 4.0 would be especially helpful.

Not particularly relevant, but we stick with Ultrix 2.2 for the longest time
and were fairly happy.  Between seduction by new features and then buying a
5810 we're now on the current release bandwagon and I'm developing a serious
antipathy towards DEC's release managemnet and support process...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com