Need help with DEC WINDOWS on DEC 3100 stations

James D Moore jmoore at cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu
Fri May 4 02:56:07 AEST 1990

In article <10193 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu writes:
>In a recent article jmoore at cimlab.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) wrote:
>>The problem is that whenever a person tries to log into the
>>client [DECstation 3100] the DecWindows accepts the login and the password
>>and then seems to time out and return the login prompt. After
>>several tries (random number but usaly more than 5-6 tries)
>>it eventualy will allow a person to log into the system.
>
>We have been having the same problem on our DECstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1,
>UWS 2.2) and it is not even running as a client but has its own system disks.
>The number of times one has to re-do the login is not usually more than two
>or three here, and at least half the time it works on the first try.

I guess more info was needed about my post. We are also runnign Ultrix 3.1
with UWS 2.2.

>It might be my imagination, but it seems to get worse the longer the system
>has been up (since we are trying to install new devices recently we have been
>rebooting often and the problem has been less.

Hmmm ...  I see a patern here .... Any ideas what to check?

>The only other variable that might be important is that we have "only" 12 MB
>of memory (hoping to get more).
>
>				++Eric Fielding
>eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu

Our system configuration is as follows :
(1) 1 Dec3100 system 16mb (2) 3 Dec3100 Stations 8mb (3) 2 RZ55 disks
(4) 1 RZ33 (?) internal (4) TK50 (5) DEC LN03R Scriptprinter not connected
yet.

Jim Moore
jmoore at cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu