Need help with DEC WINDOWS on DEC 3100 stations

Eric Fielding eric at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri May 4 01:20:43 AEST 1990

In a recent article jmoore at cimlab.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) wrote:
>The problem is that whenever a person tries to log into the
>client [DECstation 3100] the DecWindows accepts the login and the password
>and then seems to time out and return the login prompt. After
>several tries (random number but usaly more than 5-6 tries)
>it eventualy will allow a person to log into the system.

We have been having the same problem on our DECstation 3100 (Ultrix 3.1,
UWS 2.2) and it is not even running as a client but has its own system disks.
The number of times one has to re-do the login is not usually more than two
or three here, and at least half the time it works on the first try.

It might be my imagination, but it seems to get worse the longer the system
has been up (since we are trying to install new devices recently we have been
rebooting often and the problem has been less.

The only other variable that might be important is that we have "only" 12 MB
of memory (hoping to get more).

				++Eric Fielding
eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu