How do I list multiple tar images

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri May 4 17:09:49 AEST 1990

In article <264 at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM> dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM (Dan O'Neill) writes:

> I have a tape with mutiple tar images placed on it.  I am able to list
> the contents of the tape by following these steps:
> Notice that the device is specified 'no rewind', but the 'fsf' option
> to mt seems to force the tape back to the begining and then fowards
> the number of savesets.  This is really slow when you are dealing with
> large images.

Something is confused - you should be able to access the images sequentially
simply by issuing repeated tar commands using the non-rewind device.  You
might check the minor device numbers between the rewind and no-rewind device
to make sure you're getting what you expect.

Also, if you mucking around with TK50's expect a lot of tedious back-and-forth
on the tape, but then I'd expect your fsf's to skip files rather then the
"rewinding" you suggest.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com