How do I list multiple tar images

Dan O'Neill dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM
Fri May 4 07:49:02 AEST 1990

I have a tape with mutiple tar images placed on it.  I am able to list
the contents of the tape by following these steps:

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h		image 1
  mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 1

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h 		image 2
  mt -f /dev/nrmt0h fsf 2

  tar tvf /dev/nrmt0h		image 3

Notice that the device is specified 'no rewind', but the 'fsf' option
to mt seems to force the tape back to the begining and then fowards
the number of savesets.  This is really slow when you are dealing with
large images.

Is there a way to list the images sequentially without rewinding the
tape each time?

Thanks.
--
Dan O'Neill	dan at asihub.AUTOSYS.COM    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.	San Diego R&D