CD ROM Blues

Yoseff Francus francus at e2big.mko.dec.com
Thu Nov 8 09:14:43 AEST 1990

In article <4811 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> jls2 at ursa-major.spdcc.com (Jeff Stoner) writes:

>I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up to use
>with an Ultrix 4.0 VAXstation 3100 or DECstation 3100 system (I have
>both). It unfortunately arrived without documentation...
>
>1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
>	does that?

Connect it to your system setting the dip switch to 4, or if that is
used to something between 0-5 (preferrably not 5) that is not in use
on your SCSi bus. Then at the console prompt
>> test -c
will tell you which device the rrd40 is at.
then do
>> init
>> boot
to boot up your system.

Assuming it is device 4, once your system is booted:
log in as root, cd to /dev and run
# MAKEDEV rz4

This will make the special files needed for your rrd40

>2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
>	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
>	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.
Use the standard mount command but with the -r option since
it is a read only device.

>3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? I have several
>	star catalogues in that "standard" format, but understand that,
>	at least under VMS (quit that hissing and booing!), a special package
>	is required to read ISO 9660 CD disks with this drive.

Just read it as if it were a standard Ultrix file system.
You shouldn't need any special package.

>--
>====== Jeff L. Stoner === Boulder, Colo. ============ /\ = /\ ========== |
>   Work: jls2 @ ellery.esi.com                   /\  /  \ /  /\  /\    --*--