Something similar to netstat ... but quicker.

Wietse Venema wswietse at svbs01.bs.win.tue.nl
Tue Nov 20 04:19:46 AEST 1990

bmacinre at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) writes:

>What I really want is to figure out if someone is currently doing a
>remote finger on my machine AND where they are fingering from.  Is there
>an easier way to do this?  I can get the fingerd process from ps but
>don't see how to get where the socket connection that created it is
>comming from.  What would be ideal is a flag for netstat that looks for
>specific sorts of inetd connections and only prints out their sockets.

If you have sufficient privilege, you can put a trivial program in
front of the fingerd (tar archive in ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/logdaemon.Z,
file tcpd.c). This program uses the syslog(3) facility to report the
use of connection-oriented services such as telnet, rlogin, rsh, exec.

By the way, if you are worried about the use of the finger service, you
may also want to keep track of requests to the systat service that
usually is enabled on Ultrix systems (systat just pipes the output from
the who(1) command to the net). The miscd.c file in the above-mentioned
tar archive takes care of monitoring systat.