Something similar to netstat ... but quicker.

Blair MacIntyre bmacinre at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 13 06:27:12 AEST 1990

If a specific host is connected to my machine, doing a finger, running
netstat gives the following lines in the output (something similar):
(I'm on watcgl, someone on seward.tn.cornell.edu is fingering me)

tcp        0      0  watcgl.finger          SEWARD.TN.CORNEL.2997  ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  watcgl.4788            SEWARD.TN.CORNEL.finge ESTABLISHED

To get this info, I have to run netstat (obviously), but this is
sloooow.

What I really want is to figure out if someone is currently doing a
remote finger on my machine AND where they are fingering from.  Is there
an easier way to do this?  I can get the fingerd process from ps but
don't see how to get where the socket connection that created it is
comming from.  What would be ideal is a flag for netstat that looks for
specific sorts of inetd connections and only prints out their sockets.

Anyway, I'm not really hopeful on this, but I would greatly appreciate
any help or hints or pointers as to which man page to RTFM! :-)
--
Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1