NFS bug in Ultrix 3.1 (on DEC3100)

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Tue Nov 6 16:57:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov6.022044.19498 at watcgl.waterloo.edu>, megauter at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Marc E. Gauthier) writes:
> In developing an NFS client implementation, I discovered a bug in NFS server
> implementations under Ultrix (Ultrix-32 V3.1 (Rev. 11)).  The VAXen servers
> kept crashing while testing my client, and I wondered why - it seems that any
> time I refer to a file outside the filesystem I have mounted (either through an
> unmounted mount point, or by giving absolute path names), the VAX panics and
> reboots.  Although what I was doing was `improper' client behaviour since I
> was giving pathnames for the server to parse, it still shouldn't crash the
> server...  Anybody come upon this?

	It sounds vaguely familiar.  It is also probably fixed in
	V4.0, so you should consider installing V4.

> Is there a proper DEC contact point for sending such bug reports?

	Go through your doc set and look for a half-dozen or so
	carbon paper thing.  If it says Software Performance
	Report, then you've found the right one.  If you don't
	find one can get one from your local DEC office.  If you
	have a support contract you might be submit one through
	them without ever having to touch the paper kind.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com