NFS bug in Ultrix 3.1 (on DEC3100)

Marc E. Gauthier megauter at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Tue Nov 6 13:20:44 AEST 1990

In developing an NFS client implementation, I discovered a bug in NFS server
implementations under Ultrix (Ultrix-32 V3.1 (Rev. 11)).  The VAXen servers
kept crashing while testing my client, and I wondered why - it seems that any
time I refer to a file outside the filesystem I have mounted (either through an
unmounted mount point, or by giving absolute path names), the VAX panics and
reboots.  Although what I was doing was `improper' client behaviour since I
was giving pathnames for the server to parse, it still shouldn't crash the
server...  Anybody come upon this?

Is there a proper DEC contact point for sending such bug reports?
-Marc
--
Marc E. Gauthier   megauthier at watcgl.waterloo.edu   University of Waterloo
		   129.97.128.64		    885-1211 x3469 or x4548