NFS bug in Ultrix 3.1 (on DEC3100)

Stefan Brandle stefan at wheaton.UUCP
Fri Nov 9 09:22:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov6.022044.19498 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> megauter at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Marc E. Gauthier) writes:
>In developing an NFS client implementation, I discovered a bug in NFS server
>unmounted mount point, or by giving absolute path names), the VAX panics and
>reboots.  Although what I was doing was `improper' client behaviour since I
>was giving pathnames for the server to parse, it still shouldn't crash the
>server...  Anybody come upon this?

We are using a GatorBox that allows Macintoshes to access NFS servers and see
the files there as AppleShare volumes.  It's a very nice idea, except that when
doing big multi-file copying we can crash any of our VAXen almost on demand.
I had never gotten anywhere trying to determing what happened; maybe it's
related.  I agree that a client should not be able to crash the server.

-Stefan Brandle