8800 crashing way too often

Greg Pavlov pavlov at canisius.UUCP
Thu Nov 1 18:13:20 AEST 1990

In article <STERGIOS.90Oct29193129 at kt22.Stanford.EDU>, stergios at portia.Stanford.EDU (Stergios) writes:

> We have a 8800 crashing at the rate of once every two days.  ....
>
> Now we are starting to talk replacement systems (this is another story
> all together, probably worse, and I wont air that kind of laundry in
> public) and dec is pushing a 5500 at us.  I dont think the 5500`s
> q-bus is going to take the beating our 8800 does.  we are currently
> running a 5400 as an optional machine to the 8800, and the poor little
> thing is choking.  ....

  I would not base a decision about a 5500 based on experiences with a 5400.
  I would push DEC to provide you with non-disclosure info on the 5500 if, in
  fact, it was not already announced (this week, the rumors have been saying..)

  On the other hand, I don't think that I would try accomodating your user load
  on one of these systems either  (then again, I don't think that I would
  try to do so on an 8800...).

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny