8800 crashing way too often

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Thu Nov 1 02:41:12 AEST 1990

In article <STERGIOS.90Oct29193129 at kt22.Stanford.EDU>, stergios at portia.Stanford.EDU (Stergios) writes:

> [ Customer has a VAX 8800 crashing very frequently. ]

	I have a VAX 8800 that crashed 96 days ago.  That's the
	last time it was down.  The time before that was 80 days.
	The I/O configuration is three VAXBIs with two KDB50s
	(2 RA90s each) and CIBCA with HSC70 and a bunch of disks.
	There's a DEBNI and DMB32 in there somewhere.  This kind
	of uptime seems to be typical for my system.  Use it for
	comparison purposes.

> Quite a number of dec people have and still are looking into the
> problem.  Every board has been replaced, even a new bi bus installed.
> dec software engineering is leaning towards a problem in the mscp
> code.

	Is it the same error each time, a different one?  Which
	one Panic, machine check or "it stops".  What version of
	ULTRIX are you running?  If V4.0 has you installed and
	booted the mandatory upgrade?  Any non-DEC devices on
	the VAXBI or KDB50s?  Is there a UNIBUS on the system?
	Does it have anything important on it?  Could it be
	replaced by a native VAXBI device?

> Weve installed and ran 8 different dec supplied debuggers inside the
> kernel. Each one never tells what the problem is, only what the
> problem is not.  Progress, I suppose.
>
> It originally took a couple months to escalate the problem to the
> point where we got attention. Now we have attention to the point of
> twice weekly meetings with dec sales staff regarding our 8800
> crashing.  lots-o-fun, but we still have a poorly performing machine.

	A couple of months feels to long for me, but it depends on
	the situation.

> There is talk of replacing out kdb50's with HSE's in the hope that the
> problem will disappear.  This seems reasonable, I guess, but sounds
> like a desperation move at this point.

	Find the problem first.  There is one out there somewhere
	and it is findable.

> Now we are starting to talk replacement systems (this is another story
> all together, probably worse, and I wont air that kind of laundry in
> public) and dec is pushing a 5500 at us.  I dont think the 5500`s
> q-bus is going to take the beating our 8800 does.  we are currently
> running a 5400 as an optional machine to the 8800, and the poor little
> thing is choking.  I refuse to install ada and a number of other
> packages on it becuase of its performance so far under our
> environment.  This does not make our clients any happier: a machine
> not runinng the necessary software is not any better than a crashed
> machine, and we have plenty of both.

	Actaully most of the interesting I/O on a DECsystem 5500 will
	stay off the Q-bus unless you insist upon using KDA50s for
	most of the disks.  A couple of gigabyte SCSI disks and DSSI
	disks should be very impressive.  A VAX 8800 is good for
	moving bits between disk and memory, but a well configured
	DECsystem 5500 should be able to do better.  You'll need more
	memory to make up for the VAX to RISC switch.

> Are there any other buses or solutions available on the 5500?  I'm
> asking here cause I've already been told "there is this neat way to
> hook up a ra92 as a swap disk avoiding the qbus that gives an extra
> M/s" by the sales types.  An extra M/s over the qbus is not going to
> cut it for us.

	There are three places to connect disks to a DECsystem 5500;
	one or more KDA50s on the Q-bus, the DSSI adapter and the
	SCSI adapter.  The only place >>>I<<< know of to connect an
	RA{anything} is the KDA50.  Find out what your sales critter
	is talking about.  If you go to a DECsystem 5500 you'll almost
	certainly want to switch from the RA{anything} to RFs or RZs
	or least put move some of the I/O load off the RAs.

> What good is a maintenance contract? Are we being too lenient with DEC
> by letting them drag this out as far as they have?

	I'll put it this way.  You've been very patient.  I wouldn't
	have been that patient.

	Of course it also depends on what level of support you have.
	An 8 hour a day, 5 days a week Basic support contract is a
	very different beast from 24x7 DECsupport.  Each contract
	has time limits for how long things are allowed to "drag out".
	I don't think any of them are months though.

> Any and all suggestions welcome.

	Tell us more about the errors in the hopes that we might
	recognize the problem from previous experience.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com