top/monitor programs

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Nov 2 08:10:01 AEST 1990

In article <27006 at cs.yale.edu> weier at twolf.ce.yale.edu writes:

> |> I think this is a built-in restriction, my suggestion would be to get
> |> hold of the "monitor" program from decwrl, which does a much better
> |> job at showing system activity and can be modified to suit...
>

> Does anyone have the diffs required to make "top" run on a DECstatsion?
> I started to do a port myself but ran into trouble without having the
> programers reference manuals.
>
> I know of the monitor routine, but not the "monitor" program.  Does this
> perform a function similar to "top"?  Is decwrl a piece of an ftp site name?

Decwrl is the uucp/mail name for DEC Western Research Lab, The system there
for anonymous ftp access is gatekeeper.dec.com.  There are versions of top
and monitor available there with Ultrix changes included.

Top is basically a process display, while monitor is more IO/resource oriented,
or in other words, top does ps(1) type things, while monitor does more vmstat(8).

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com