command arguments

Robert Osborne robert at isgtec.uucp
Wed Nov 7 03:57:29 AEST 1990

On our brand new DECstation 5000 (Ultrix 4.0), I typed in the following
command:

	>sort -onewfile fairlyimportantoldfile

it seemed to be taking a long time so I broke it (Stupid, stupid, stupid).
It totally ignored newfile and behaved as if

	>sort -o fairlyimportantoldfile

and waited for standard input to sort into my file.  So, it truncated
my fairlyimportantoldfile.

1)  The -o option is documented in the man page as -oname

2)  Why on ^C does it truncate the file?  (Nice error handling :-)

3)  Do any other Ultrix commands behave this way???
    (ignoring option fields, dangerous cleanup, etc.)

Rob.
--
Robert A. Osborne   ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!robert or robert at isgtec.uucp