command arguments

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Fri Nov 9 01:45:27 AEST 1990

In article <714 at isgtec.UUCP> robert at isgtec.uucp (Robert Osborne) writes:

	Indeed, the manual page is wrong. SPR it.

>2)  Why on ^C does it truncate the file?  (Nice error handling :-)

	It's probably not that ^C truncated the file, but when sort
opened the file for output, it truncated it then. When you hit ^C it
just exitted, leaving the file already truncated.

>3)  Do any other Ultrix commands behave this way???
>    (ignoring option fields, dangerous cleanup, etc.)

	When the manual and the software disagree, the manual's wrong. :)
I don't think "dangerous cleanup" is really what happened - what happened
is more along the lines of: if you type "rm -rf /*" and then hit ^C,
don't expect it to "clean up" for you either. :) All UNIXes are like that.

mjr.