Ultrix 4.1!

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Thu Nov 8 13:06:14 AEST 1990

In article <3739 at vela.acs.oakland.edu>, schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> Hello! We just received Ultrix 4.1 for RISC today. Has anyone else received
> it? My main question is how (or should) I upgrade 4.0 systems to 4.1?
> Do I just install the 4.1 mandatory upgrade? Or do I have to start from scratch?

	I guess it's real now.  The initial release of V4.1 is
	a full re-installation (yuck).  I have been lead to
	believe that an upgrade for taking an existing V4.0 to
	V4.1 will be available someday, maybe six weeks at most.

	So, if you have an existing V3.x or earlier system that
	you want to take to V4 this is probably the best the
	best way to do it.  If you have an existing V4.0 system
	then you'll probably want to wait for the update (assuming
	there really is one).

	I won't make any editorial comments about not making an
	upgrade avialable alongside the full installation version
	but if you would like make those comment, I STRONGLY
	suggest submitting an SPR to let us (DEC) know how you
	feel about it.  Don't expect more than a "Thank you for
	your suggestion." as response, but I think your comments
	will be heard by the people that need to hear them.

	Putting together upgrades is a lot of extra work for the
	people doing the release engineering.  If you don't think
	that upgrades are important (I do) then we need to know
	it, so save the extra time and money in the future.  If
	on the other hand upgrades are important then we need to
	know that also.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com