CD ROM Blues

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Thu Nov 8 09:14:54 AEST 1990

In article <4811 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, jls2 at spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:

> I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up to use
> with an Ultrix 4.0 VAXstation 3100 or DECstation 3100 system (I have
> both). It unfortunately arrived without documentation...
>
> 1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
> 	does that?

	1.  Find the unit number of the RRD40.  The out-of-the box
	    default is probably 4, 0 or 7.  Mine is in an inconvient
	    place to look at the switch packs, but there is one on
	    the back for the unit number.  If all else fails, use
	    the "scsi pb" command on the DECstation 3100 to figure
	    it out.

	2.  When you boot the DECstation it will print some lines that
	    look like (ULTRIX V4.0):

		rz0 at sii0 slave 0 (RZ55)
		rz1 at sii0 slave 1 (RZ55)
		rz3 at sii0 slave 3 (RZ23)
		rz4 at sii0 slave 4 (RRD40)
		tz5 at sii0 slave 5 (TK50)

	    Find the device name corresponding to the RRD40 and
	    use MAKEDEV to create the special device files for it.

		# cd /dev
		# MAKEDEV rz4

	    It will probably be much the same on the VAXstation.

> 2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
> 	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
> 	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.

	It will depend on what disc you have, but if is one of the
	ULTRIX distribution discs:

		# mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt

	(or whatever other file system you want for the mount point).

> 3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? I have several
> 	star catalogues in that "standard" format, but understand that,
> 	at least under VMS (quit that hissing and booing!), a special package
> 	is required to read ISO 9660 CD disks with this drive.

	The driver will probably let you read "sectors" from the disc
	using the raw device.  There isn't file system code to support
	anything but bits that look like a Fast File System.  If you
	know the format of the disc, reading is probably just a SMOP
	(small matter of programming).  I've seen a program that does
	this, but I'm not sure where it came from.

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com