CD ROM Blues

Shawn Mamros mamros at energy.irc.cbm.dec.com
Thu Nov 8 09:06:40 AEST 1990

In article <4811 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, jls2 at spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:
|> I have received an RRD40 CD ROM drive on loan and want to set it up [...]
|> 1)	What device name do I need to create for it? What exact command
|> 	does that?

Assuming that you've cabled it to the SCSI bus at SCSI unit N (0 <= N <= 5):
   # cd /dev
   # MAKEDEV rzN
just as you would with any other SCSI disk drive.

|> 2)	What exact mount command do I use to put it on the system?
|> 	Someone I'm working with just received the same drive the same
|> 	way and cannot successfully mount the CD ROM.

You need to mount it read-only with the "-r" switch on mount:
   # mount -r /dev/rzNc (wherever)
(Otherwise, mount complains about a "Restricted operation on file system".)

|> 3)	Does the Ultrix driver read ISO 9660 standard disks? [...]
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one (never tried it myself...)

|> Thanks for any help you can offer!
No problem...

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros at crl.dec.com
Disclaimer: These are not "official" statements in any way, shape, or form.
No warranty is expressed or implied, etc...