ANy joy with 3rd party SCSI disks on DS3100?

George Michaelson ggm at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
Wed Sep 26 09:32:55 AEST 1990

	ggm at brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) writes:

>I'm not sure what you mean by "hog the bus" - I doesn't sound like you're
>getting enough action to judge this.  Are you booting from some other
>drive temporarily change to unix number X?  If so, can you get the system
>up without the new drive installed?  You may have to change your config
>file as far as where root/swap/dump live (or use the generic kernel (maybe)).

If the device is switched on, and you boot rz(0,4)vmunix off the rz55,
irrespective of what the SCSI daisychain number of the drive was, the
kernel hung during the "device probe" phase. After approx 15 sec the
drive could be heard to do a SCSI reset.

I agree "hog the bus" was misleading but with most of the jumper/switch
settings we tried, when the disk was anywhere but SCSI slot 0 it would
respond to a test -c once, and then its green "I have the bus" light would
stay on and thereafter test -c reported NO attached devices.
Not even the CPU on slot 6!!

>Have you gotten the drive to work as some other unit, with probing
>and newfs and all that?

no because You cannot "see" a device that is not switched on during
kernel boot phase, and I cannot boot a kernel with the device switched on.

>You might have to create an appropriate SCSI device entry to match the
>drive ID info in /sys/data/scsi_data.c, it might be a problem with some
>of those magic option bits.

I have been sent an appropriate scsi_data.c by somebody in Switzerland.
Im hoping to try it this afternoon but I think he should take the "glory"
if it works & post the details, not me!

	George
--
	G.Michaelson