inter-vendor operability of rdump...

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Sep 26 04:29:34 AEST 1990

In article <3662 at leah.Albany.Edu> rds95 at leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:

> We are running Ultrix 2.2 (shtumm, shtumm) on a microvax-ii,
> and when trying to do remote dumps to it, I am having problems.
> I notice there is a switch (-o) on the Ultrix rdump that
> specifies that the dump is incompatible with non-release 2.x
> dump.
>
> But when dumping from (for example) AIX release 3.1, the dump
> starts, and goes through all its passes, but invariably "loses
> connection to remote host" without any data being written to tape.

Different versions of ultrix rdump have been incompatible with different
versions of other vendors rdump (sun for example).  Sometimes the -o
swith helped, sometimes not.

First make sure that your .cshrc file doesn't type out anything when
invoked remotely.  I seem to recall this as being a major pitfall.

If this doesn't work, you can play with the Berkely rdump or some of
the gnu and other tar/backup packages seen in the sources group from
time to time.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com