How to do shared modem on DS200 terminal server from Ultrix?

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Sep 11 12:34:07 AEST 1990

Anyone have a shared modem line working under Ultrix, say 3.1 or 3.1C,
via reverse LAT to a DS200/MC terminal server with attached modem?  My
getty keeps opening the line and engaging in a shouting match with my
modem and it thus won't let me tip to the modem.  Getty should *not* open
the line until a call comes in; it has to leave the line clear so I
can call out on it.

If this keeps up, I'll have to buy a Qbus serial card for my DS5400.
Or maybe I'll put the modems on our MicrovaxII; it has a serial card.

I thought terminal servers were supposed to be wonderful?