How to do shared modem on DS200 terminal server from Ultrix?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Sep 11 14:43:25 AEST 1990

In article <9009110234.AA18245 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
> Anyone have a shared modem line working under Ultrix, say 3.1 or 3.1C,
> via reverse LAT to a DS200/MC terminal server with attached modem?  My
> getty keeps opening the line and engaging in a shouting match with my
> modem and it thus won't let me tip to the modem.  Getty should *not* open
> the line until a call comes in; it has to leave the line clear so I
> can call out on it.

I'd make sure that the modem is set up so that it doesn't make with
carrier detect/data set ready until an incoming call is in progress
and that the terminal server has appropriate modem control settings.

Even so, I'm not sure you can get it to work - terminal servers put lots
of code where once simple wire was, and truely transparent it ain't.

> If this keeps up, I'll have to buy a Qbus serial card for my DS5400.
> Or maybe I'll put the modems on our MicrovaxII; it has a serial card.

Might not be a bad idea, if you're trying to use fast modems you may
run into thruput/buffering problems or other irritations.

> I thought terminal servers were supposed to be wonderful?

B.S.
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com