Lost in the maze of Ultrix product numbers

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 14 13:35:05 AEST 1990

I have a pair of DS5400, some MVII/GPX, some VS2000, some VS3100, and
some VS3200.  I want to put Ultrix UWS 4.0 on them all, downloaded via
network MOP from either the MIPS or the VAX.  I don't need standalone
boot media.  What product numbers do I order to get just the TK50 setld
kits, without boot media?  I'm guessing that these will do what I want:

  QA-YL5AA-H5 ULTRIX WS TO SRV VAX
  QA-YL6AA-H5 ULTRIX WS TO SRV RISC

(Has DEC finally figured out how to support VAX and RISC subsets on the
*same* MOP server?  I managed to throw everything together under
Ultrix 3.1C here, and I can make both VAXes and MIPS machines serve,
but the 3.0 manual says it isn't possible.)

Now, having got the software, I need exactly one set of documentation for
UWS 4.0 and its underlying Ultrix 4.0.  What do I order, to get it all?
I've found "QA-0JQAK-GZ UWS FULL DOC KIT" ($6,036CDN), but that seems a
bit pricey for just the manuals.  It doesn't help that QA-0JQAA-GZ is
also called a FULL DOC KIT ($2,581CDN) and the people at DECdirect
were just as confused as I.

To confound matters, nobody knows *exactly* which documentation kits
are contained in which other kits, and some of the "Installation"
style kits that contain boot media and some documentation seem to be
a *lot* cheaper than buying the pieces separately.  So maybe I should
buy the "Installation" kit and throw out the stuff I don't need.

My kingdom for a phone number to someone who understands *exactly*
what I need to order!