Ultrix/X (more questions)

jim graham grahj at gagme.chi.il.us
Fri Jan 11 13:28:15 AEST 1991

In article <BGLENDEN.91Jan4200238 at colobus.cv.nrao.edu>, bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu (Brian Glendenning) writes:

>|> Also, using gcc vs cc made used to make dramatic differences on the
>|> performance of MIT X on Suns, is the same true of the DEC RISC
>|> machines (I have been using cc). Thanks again.

This may be related to something I've noticed, and may not....but if anyone has
the answer to this one, I'd really like to know it!

I'm running Ultrix 4.0 on a vaxstation 3100, have not yet compiled MIT X11R4
(waiting for a big hard disk to come in...then I compile it), so I'm running
the DEC server.  However, I have compiled some of my favorite MIT versions of
clients, some of which aren't even provided with Ultrix.

Here's the problem.  When I run twm (which I prefer greatly over dxwm!), it
seems to have a serious negative impact on the performance of many
applications.  One that really shows this effect is "xlock -mode qix" --- the
patterns are really slow and choppy.....

Has anyone noticed this, and does anyone know what the problem/fix is?
Please respond via direct email, as I sometimes don't beat the expiration on
news here....I'll post a summary if anyone wants me to.

Thanks,
Jim Graham

Share and Enjoy!  (Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, complaints division)
73, de n5ial

TCP/IP:    jim at n5ial.ampr.org --- 44.72.0.88
Packet:    n5ial at wb9mjn (Chicago, IL USA)
Internet:  grahj at gagme.chi.il.us