puzzling security problem

Janet Price jprice at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Sat Jun 22 03:08:55 AEST 1991

Ultrix security mavens:

We have discovered a security problem on our Ultrix system that has us
baffled.  It seems to involve bypassing the /etc/services file and
binding via telnet to a port that is not listed in the file.  I'm
uncomfortable describing the problem in more detail.  I hope this isn't
too much detail, in fact.  If this rings a bell with anyone, would you
please email me directly, since we're not yet getting news.

       Janet Price (jprice at kzoo.edu)
	   Director of Computing, Kalamazoo College