ARGH!!! 4.2 (RISC) update problem

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jun 11 16:27:00 AEST 1991

In article <7008 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> Another 4.2 problem I have noticed -
>
> Also, although not a bug, NFS breaks when is in more then 8 groups. I think
> this was reported before here but I thought it was worth repeating. 4.2
> allows someone with up to 32 groups, but trying to NFS mount a pre 4.2
> system fails. This showed up after I enabled hesiod, and root ended
> up in more then 8 groups.

This is discussed explictly in section 3.8.14 of the release notes.  Supposedly
Ultrix 4.2 finally "fixes" the 8 group restriction and can now interoperate
with Sun's and other Ultrix 4.2 systems having user id's that belong to more
than 8 groups.  HOWEVER, this does not "fix" older Ultrix systems, which still
have the 8 group limitation.

It would be nice if there was a corresponding patch available for 3.X and 4.x<2,
versions of Ultrix, but I'm not horribly optimistic.

Is it still broken with the above taken into consideration?

						George
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com