ARGH!!! 4.2 (RISC) update problem

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Jun 11 07:47:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun10.183232.18766 at hamblin.math.byu.edu> chad at yvax.byu.edu writes:
> --
>
> We also just got the 4.2 stuff (VAX and RISC).  While trying to use RIS
> to load the subsets onto a host machine I seem to have run into a
> problem with the UNSUPPORTED SUBSETS tape for RISC.  The tape has been
> "Working...." about 60 hours (over  the weekend).   All the other tapes
> loaded fine.  Could this be caused by a similar problem to the mandatory
> tapes with the wrong SUBSETS on them?

I wouldn't bet on it - the "working..." message simply means that setld
is waiting for some program it has invoked to complete - typically either
a mt or (compressed) tar execution.  If it's hung up, I'd use ps to try to
figure out where it died...

The symptom of the "wrong subsets" is that setld blows off all the subsets
on the tape, claiming (rightly) that none of the prerequistes are installed.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com