Need help with >>boot of DECStation 2100 (half solved)

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil
Sat Jun 1 08:06:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991May31.185559.22995 at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>,
    dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil [ie: I wrote] writes:

> I would like to RTFM, but I am without.
>
>>>boot     Returns
> ?47a path:
> ?470 bt err:
>
> Seems as though I lost NVROM and default path, bootdevice, and bootmode
> are gone (it asked for language type).
>
> How to find bootable devices?
> How to say "boot of the **RRD on scsi 4"

.
.

Cancel Red Alert. (But still looking for info)

'Found info on the differences between new and old DS5K's ROM Monitor
and surmised that I needed something like:
>>boot -f rz(0,N,0)vmunix

where the N is the disk number.

I ended up splicing the DS2100 box's internal disks into my VS3100
and using 'test 50' and 'show dev' to get the SCSI address of the
DS's internal drives.

Anyway I got it booted (and think I probably want to add -a after vmunix)
and will be able to boot again, ...

I would still like to get info on how to 'read' whats on the SCSI where,
and how to set up the environment for autoboot ala the VS's that I run.

PS:  part of my problem was that my DS RRD is set on address 4, and so was
one of the internal disks.

Have a good weekend,
harv
ASD/OL-NS in sunny Albuquerque, (505) 846-5391
dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil