A question about swap

Frank Wortner frank at croton.nyo.dec.com
Wed Jun 19 05:25:51 AEST 1991

In article <967 at lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

|>I was told once to *never* mess up with the a partition of a disk.
|>Forget about the 16Meg you will be loosing.

You don't have to waste the space entirely.  An "orphan" a partition makes
a handy /tmp or /var or other small filesystem.  It also makes a handy spare
copy of the root filesystem.  Just the thing to have around the next time some-
one accidentally types "rm -rf /".  [I've seen it happen!  :-( ]

Also, you can use chpt to reduce the size of the "a" partition.  You just should
not get rid of it entirely.  I would not suggest reducing the size of the paritition
if you intend to use it as a root filesystem, though.

						Frank