Replacing the banner message, too long?

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.DEC.COM
Tue Jun 25 02:45:36 AEST 1991

In article <5489.2865d088 at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:
|>...  We recently tried to change the message to include information such as
|>the name of the machine, how to log on, etc, and ran into a very interesting
|>problem.  The message itself would cover most of the screen, but getty only
|>displays the first 4 lines and says "Gettytab entry too long".  I understand
|>what "too long" is ( :-) ), but how long is too long, and is there any way
|>around it.

Looking at the source code, it looks like 512 plus some small delta
(having to do with the hostname or something).

This of course is not to be taken seriously and is not supported
information in any way.  But I used to be able to read source code so
it is probably close to the truth :-).

Fred