Compiler problem.

Mark Miller millerma at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:08:10 AEST 1991

In compiling some code, which consists of ~35 seperate modules, with ~45,000
lines of code on one of our DECstation 3100's, I've come up with the following
error:

ld:
eclipse.o: gp relocation out-of-range in .text section for relocation entry 169 for symbol: get_fact_total_age
eclipse.o: above gp relocation entry for non .sdata or .sbss symbol
All data will fit into the global pointer area
Best -G num value to compile all -count'ed objects
creating pclips with is 2164 (or greater)
Best -G num value calculation reliable only if all
-count'ed objects were compiled with -G num greater or
equal to maximum size of a literal pool item (8).
make: *** [pclips] Error 1

I've tried changing the -G value, and various other things.  I've used lint
to try and see if there are any major problems.  This code compiles and runs
on a Sun and an Apollo.  Noone I've tapped here has any more ideas.  Does
anyone out there?  Thanks in advance.

Mark

| millerma at raven.ulowell.edu          or         millerma at dragon.ulowell.edu |
| Phone: (508) 934-2630                                  Fax: (508) 458-8289 |