Compiler problem.

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Jun 27 20:35:11 AEST 1991

In article <MILLERMA.91Jun27000810 at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu> millerma at dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Mark Miller) writes:
> In compiling some code, which consists of ~35 seperate modules, with ~45,000
> lines of code on one of our DECstation 3100's, I've come up with the following
> error:
>
> ld:
> eclipse.o: gp relocation out-of-range in .text section for relocation entry 169 for symbol: get_fact_total_age
> eclipse.o: above gp relocation entry for non .sdata or .sbss symbol

Check that there's no conflict between this name and another procudure or data name,
especially one which might be aliased if the assembler/optimzer/linker is truncating
externals to less than n-characters (a guess).

The mips compiler seems to generate such errors when symbols show up in a different
segment than expected.  Redefinitions of "end" are a classic example.

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com