M2266S gives error at bootup at DS5100

Ross Parker parker at mprgate.mpr.ca
Thu Jun 6 05:46:12 AEST 1991

In article <2377 at netmbx.UUCP>, weis at netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) writes:
|> I think problems with the Fujitsu M2266S-512 were discussed somewhere
|> a little time ago. Unfortunately I did not get it all.
|> So I hope someone could enlighten me with the following problem:
|>
|> DECsystem 5100 with Ultrix 4.1 won't recognize the disk upon loading
|> vmunix.

|> There was sth in the discussion about the adressing of drives larger than
|> 1 GB. Is it this? Any suggestions?

It sounds to me like your problem is not related to the 1GB restriction. That
restriction doesn't prevent the disk from being seen at boot time, it will
just cause the disk to be trashed sometime later.

One thing you might check - the Fujitsu disk supports synchronous SCSI,
the DECstation (with Ultrix 4.1) doesn't. You can set a jumper on the drive
to disable synchronous SCSI. You should also set the SCSI-1 jumper.

When you partition the disk, make sure you don't use the whole disk. You
can use up to 1Gb, but no more. That translates to 2,097,152 sectors that
you can allocate with chpt. If you don't follow this restriction and try
to use the whole disk, the disk will end up being corrupted.

--
Ross Parker			| Why do they put me down?
				| Make out that I'm a clown?
parker at mprgate.mpr.ca		| I drink scotch whisky all day long
uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!parker	| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
				| (gonna put it all away...)
(604)293-5495			| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman