increase swap space

Philip Yzarn de Louraille yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com
Sun Jun 16 02:25:01 AEST 1991

In article <133933 at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> mueller at daisy.cis.ohio-state.edu (klaus d mueller) writes:
>Someone knows ??
>
>I'm having problems with my swap space being too small. So I thought about
>creating a big file and using SWAPON <file name> to add this file to my swap
>space. Will this create a problem when the file is not written in contiguous
>blocks ?
>
>OR
>
>Is there a way to divide an existing partition into two pieces without
>having to re-format the entire hard disk ?
>
>I have a DECStation 3100 running ULTRIX version 3. Thank's for your help.

If you have a partition on your disk that you are not using, then add it
to the swap space by modifying the /sys/mips/config/HOSTNAME
configuration file:
config    vmunix  root on rz0a  swap on rz0b
modify to
config    vmunix  root on rz0a  swap on rz0b and rz0?
where ? is your "free" partition.
Actually, if you have more than one disk, you can also do
config    vmunix  root on rz0a  swap on rz0b and rz#?
where # is the scsi address number and ? the partition you want to use.
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn at chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709