Disk Paritioning Clobbered

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Thu Jun 20 18:04:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.221738.4983 at m.cs.uiuc.edu> houck at m.cs.uiuc.edu (Chris Houck) writes:

> I was following the suggestions posted here recently about using spare 'a'
> partitions to hold backup copies of /  So I did a dd from rz0a to rz1a
> and, of course, clobbered the paritioning for disk rz1 (it was a different
> size + had more partitions)

Ouch, you gotta watch that.  dd'ing "a" or "c" involves risks of overwriting
patitition tables and/or bad block areas (antiquity).  dd'ing a is ok when
the two disks are of the same nature and parititioning.

> So, doing a 'chpt -q rz1' gives me the partition table for rz0 rather than the
> one I set up for rz1.  I can still access all of the partitions on rz1 and
> df gives the proper filesystem sizes, so the correct data is in the kernel somewhere.
> How can I flush it out to the disk?

Try chpt -a, it appears that it writes the working parition table back onto the
disk.  If this fails you simply chpt the individual partitions back to where
they were.  Hopefully, the modified partiting is written down somewhere, else
it can be really painful trying to reconstruct your thinking...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com